Kevin DeYoung sieht verschiedene Gründe, warum das Thema Heiligung unter Christen tabuisiert ist:
- It was too common in the past to equate holiness with abstaining from a few taboo practices like drinking, smoking, and dancing.
- As soon as you talk about swearing or movies or music or modesty or sexual purity or self-control or just plain godliness people get nervous that others will call them legalistic, or worse, a fundamentalist.
- We live in a culture of cool, and to be cool means you differentiate yourself from others. That has often meant pushing the boundaries with language, with entertainment, with alcohol, and with fashion.
- Among more liberal Christians a radical pursuit of holiness if often suspect because any talk of right and wrong behaviors feels judgmental and intolerant.
- Among conservative Christians there is sometimes the mistaken notion that if we are truly gospel-centered we won’t talk about rules or imperatives or exhort Christians to moral exertion.
Hier geht es zum lesenwerten Post “The Hole In Our Holiness”.