John Piper schält aus den Schlussversen des 2. Timotheus-Briefes (4,9-22) einige wichtige Lektionen über den christlichen Dienst heraus:
- Christian ministry is relationally hard.
- Friends in the ministry can let you down and never care for you again.
- Good friends in ministry can let you down and still be good friends.
- Jesus never intended that the enjoyment of his presence would replace the enjoyment of the presence of Christian friends.
- Nevertheless Jesus is the only totally reliable friend for sinners. He is the only flawless friend. And therefore, the only all-satisfying friend. And therefore, the only friend who can make other friendships eternal.
- Closeness to God at the end of your life does not remove the need or the desire to read and be spiritually nourished.
- Finally, people with great influence and great authority don’t need great possessions.